Here Are The Latest Updates
News
MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman has ordered a six-month preventive suspension of Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) President and General Manager Jose Arnulfo “Wick” Veloso, along with six other executives, over the purchase of P1.45 billion in preferred shares from Alternergy Holdings Corp. (AHC) in November 2023.
In a seven-page order dated July 11 and released to the media on Tuesday, the anti-graft body directed the suspension of Veloso and the following GSIS officials:
- Executive vice president Michael Praxedes
- Executive vice president Jason Teng
- Vice President Aaron Samuel Chan
- Vice President Abigail Cruz-Francisco
- Officer II Jaime Leon Warren
- Acting Office IV Alfredo Pablo
MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. will be heading to his first meeting with United States President Donald Trump with clear assurances from top US officials that Washington will continue to honor its defense treaty with the Philippines and remain committed to “real deterrence” in the South China Sea.
Marcos is the first Southeast Asian leader to meet Trump and will be speaking to him with at least two thorny issues plaguing the Philippine side: the US’ imposition of higher tariffs than originally promised and the deportations of Filipino workers in the US amid Trump’s crackdown on immigrants.
MANILA — Metro Manila’s “very old” drainage network is no longer “adequate” enough to control floods unleashed by heavy rains, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said Tuesday.
DPWH Secretary Manuel Bonoan noted that pumping stations were working when the habagat dumped heavy rains in the capital region in recent days.
However, he said that flood waters could not flow to the pumping stations because of the silted drainage system.
Six people were reported dead due to Tropical Cyclone Crising, the Southwest Monsoon or Habagat, and the low pressure area (LPA), the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Tuesday.
In its report as of 6 a.m., the NDRRMC said three of the reported deaths were in Northern Mindanao and one each in Mimaropa, Davao Region, and Caraga.
Only two of the six reported fatalities have been confirmed so far, according to the NDRRMC.